Hep B Blog

Got Hepatitis B? Share Your Favorite Liver Specialist with the HBV Community

Do you have a favorite liver specialist that you’d like to share with the Hepatitis B Foundation and friends living with HBV?  Friends with HBV live all over the globe, and we are interested in liver specialists with Hepatitis B treating experience from all over.  Pediatric patients are a special sub-population with special treating needs, too.  We’d love to hear from all of you!  Here’s what we’re looking for…

The Hepatitis B Foundation maintains a database of liver specialists that have experience treating patients with HBV.  Based on your recommendations, we would love to extend an invitation to your liver specialist to participate in our directory of liver specialists.  If your liver specialist replies, we will add his/her name to the list.

We’ve had some wonderful, new HBV friends on facebook from Africa and other continents, and we would encourage all of you to send us your liver specialist’s contact information.  Our international database is a little sparse, so we really need your input!  This would also include parents of children with HBV that are living abroad.  So, if you’ve got experience with a treating specialist that you’d like to share, you can be sure others will benefit from your advice.

Here is what the Hepatitis B Foundation needs to know:

  • Residing country
  • Adult or pediatric specialist
  • Liver specialist’s name and contact information  – including name, address, telephone number and email address (if available)
  • Anything else you’d like to share!

Email this important information to directory@hepb.org .  Please keep in mind that the information you provide is offered as a courtesy to others in the HBV community.  Your name will not be associated, and the addition of your physician does not make you responsible in any way.  This is not a physician referral service, but rather an opportunity for those living with HBV to share resources.  (Please note the disclaimer.)

Thanks to all who participate.  The entire HBV community benefits from your input!


Comments on this blog are closed. If you have questions about hepatitis B or this blog post, please email info@hepb.org or call 215-489-4900.

34 thoughts on “Got Hepatitis B? Share Your Favorite Liver Specialist with the HBV Community”

  1. Do we have Hepatitis B specialists in Kenya? I would be happy to know if there are. Thanks for the good work you are doing

    1. There are two promising physicians in Kenya. There is Dr. Godfrey Nsereko Lule, Consultant Infectious Disease Specialist/Gastroenterologist phone: 254-20-2714720 email lule@wananchi.com, Nairobi Hospital. http://www.nairobihospital.org/section.asp?id=115. and Dr. and Dr./Prof. E.O Ogutu, Gastroenterologist at University Nairobi, email: eogutu@kenyaweb.com or phone: 2712149. He has a special interest in Hepatology http://gastrokenya.org/profiles/prof%20Ogutu.htm . Although these are not direct contacts of HBF, we recommend you try contacting them. Please be sure to update our physician’s directory if you find a liver specialist to your liking at directory@hepb.org

  2. m a healthy carrier of hbv i probably have got this in my childhod days..i wsh i get the treatment before its late…

    1. Hello, Hopefully you are able to see a liver specialist who has experience treating HBV. Even “healthy carriers” should be monitored since
      HBV is often has no symptoms. Although there is no cure for HBV, there are good treatments available for HBV. Regular blood tests can tell your doctor if you would benefit from treatment. Also, be sure to take care of your liver by eating healthy, sleeping, and moderate exercise. Alcohol is very hard on your liver so please don’t drink, and do not use tobacco.

    1. Unfortunately I am not aware of a specialist in Ghana. I hope you will add a liver specialist to our directory of specialists if you learn of one. It will be helpful for others living in Ghana and learning about your HBV.

  3. Please include my country,Ghana in your day to day activities since we have also recorded cases of hepatitis B

    1. I’m sorry, but we do not have a liver specialist listed for Ghana at this time. We are constantly looking to add to our liver specialist directory. If anyone knows of a liver specialist in Ghana, please share this information with the group!

  4. I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering issues with your site. It appears as if some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This may be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen
    previously. Many thanks

    1. You must first learn if you have an acute or new infection or a chronic infection. If you have tested HBsAg+ for more than 6 months then you are considered chronically infected. Sometimes your doctor will run an anti-HBc IgM test, which when positive, indicates an acute infection. If you find you are chronically infected, you will want to see a liver specialist. I don’t know where you live, but it is possible our directory of liver specialists does not show a specialist where you live. The list certainly does not contain all liver specialists in all countries. I would encourage you to inquire with your primary doctor, or you can seek out a liver specialist at a large medical center or research center or teaching hospital. If such places are not available, I would encourage you to work with a doctor who is interested in treating patients with hepatitis B. I can provide you with links to papers for the doctor to review provided they read English.

  5. Hello, i need assistance. I was tested for hepatitis B about two years back and although my liver function test results have been normal i have been having some pains at the right side of my rib and sometimes near my stomach area since October 2011(which was two months after testing positive). it sometimes get severe and almost stops completely when i sleep or when am in the shower. Initially, when i was tested for chronic hepatitis B, I took certain local traditional medicines and only experienced those pains after taking those medicines. Inspite of that my results remain okay. The highest my ALT has gone was 31(the range being 10-40) in October 2012 and my AST has always been in the region of 21 and 20(the range being 15-40) since that time. I have had an abdominal ultrasound scan and the results was normal. I have had two viral load test, one in december 2011 where the HBV DNA COPIES were 25,465. After that test the doctor gave me a medication and when i did my next viral load test in may 2012, my HBV DNA COPIES had reduced to 116. I do not know the cause of this pain which has lasted so long in spite of my results. I hope you can give me an advice.

    1. I noted your 2nd request for me to quickly answer the question that you asked last night. Please note that this is not a forum. There is only one person responding to all outreach correspondence at the HBF. I must request that you be patient. it is impossible to know the cause of your abdominal pain. You will need to work closely with your doctor. It is unlikely it is your HBV. Your ALTs are normal (normal range below 30 IU/mL for men) and your viral load is very low. Since the pain seems to be worse when you are taking these traditional medicines, then I would stop taking the medicine. Traditional medicines are unregulated and you don’t know what you are getting from one dose to the next. You may be causing more harm than good. Having a viral load reduction from 465 to 116 means very little. When your virus level reduces by an order of magnitude or more tens of thousands to thousands or thousands to hundreds, or even more tens of thousands to hundreds – then it is significant. I would encourage you to skip the medicine and focus on healthy lifestyle choices. Be sure you always avoid alcohol and smoking and eat a well balanced diet filled with vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish and limited lean meats. Avoid all fast food (mcDonalds, KFC etc) and avoid all processed foods. Get regular exercise.

  6. Thank you very much for your respond. The reduction in the viral load was however from 25465 to 116 and not 465 to 116 . I hope that was significant. I am very appreciative of your responds. king.

    1. Sorry. I read the comments in wordpress and it looked like, 25, 465 and 116 – all of which are very low. However a reduction in virus from 25,464 to 116 is significant. I would ask your doctor to check your HBeAg and HBeAb labs. Perhaps you seroconverted losing HBeAg and gaining the antibody. This will result in a significant reduction or even an undetectable level of the virus in the body, which you have had. This is referred to as the inactive phase and it is very good. Continue monitoring with doctor. I don’t know what to say about the medication you were prescribed because it is an herbal remedy. If you were taking a conventional antiviral such as tenofovir or entecavir, I would tell you it was dangerous to stop taking the medication without the advice of your doctor. I would be a bit concerned that the pain might be associated with the medication- especially since you note it is worse with the medicine. Are your ALTs elevated? Ask your doctor to run your liver function tests. Your viral level is now very low so it seems unlikely it is the virus causing the problem. Since I don’t know anything about the medication, I can really only advise you speak with your doctor, but I would be suspicious of the medicine.

  7. The first time i ever did a hepatitis B profile test in August 2011, my HbeAg was Negative and the HBeAb was positive. My ALT was 14.5 U/L and my AST was 18.3U/L . My second viral load reduced to 116 from 25465 after taking a drug called Truvada (which is very expensive and i was allowed to take it only after a kidney test) and my doctor made me take it for another month after the reduction with the believe that it will drive it to undetectable levels but i have not been able to have another viral load test due to certain challenges. I have since been taking some drugs he has been recommending though. I will follow your advice and do a Profile, LFT and viral load test for him. He is a very friendly man. Since all my ALT has always been below 25 with the highest being 31 (just once) and my AST being always either 20 or 21, i pray i would have seroconverted. I would be glad to have a way of sending to a copy of my lab results when i do it. Anyway, i stopped the traditional drugs a year and half ago. I will seek the permission of my doctor and put his contact here so that people in Ghana seeking help can contact him. For the pain i pray it goes.

    1. king has the pain gone ? i am having the same pain each day.. hope we can keep in contact if in case u discovered a remedy to the pain

    2. Hello King please my brother is facing de same problem, please I may need ur help on behalf of my brother, please I was trying to look for hepatitis B Specialist in Ghana but I think we don’t have one, I will be very glad if u can get me de information and de contact about ur doctor so dat I can take my brother there, please contact me in this Email address, herttydet@gmail.com thanks alot please help me out.Hertty is my name thanks.

      1. Hello:
        I am sorry to hear about your brother’s hepatitis B. I would suggest that your brother be seen by a liver specialist, you may be able to find one at a large, teaching hospital in one of Ghana’s larger cities. If you are not close to one, you can suggest your doctor use the World Health Organization’s hepatitis B treatment guidelines when monitoring your brother. Here is the link to WHO guidelines for treating hepatitis B: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/hepatitis/hepatitis-b-guidelines/en/
        There is a World Hepatitis Alliance that has members in many countries. You can see if there is a doctor near you. Here is a link to a list of their members: http://www.worldhepatitisalliance.org/en/our-members
        Also in Ghana, here is another local resource:
        Theobald Hepatitis B Foundation (Ghana)
        Theobald Owusu-Ansah
        Phone: 00233 247093893
        Email: theobald2003@yahoo.com Ghana
        Now, to your other questions. The best thing your brother can do is not drink alcohol or smoke. He should eat a healthy diet, and be careful about aflatoxins, which are found in moldly grains and corn, as they can hurt his liver.
        It is important that your brother is tested for hepatitis B again at some point and also has his liver enzymes (ALT/SPGT) tested to see if the infection is damaging his liver. If he was recently infected, he may have a short or “acute” infection and he may make a full recovery. However, if he has been infected since he was a child, he may have a long-term or chronic infection.
        If he tests positive for the hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) for longer than six months, that means he has a chronic infection.
        Your brother can transmit hepatitis B if someone comes into contact with his blood or body fluids, such as semen. So it is important that he bandage any cuts or bruises, uses a condom when he has sex, and does not share his razor or anything that can come into contact with his blood.
        You and any other siblings should also get tested in case you are also infected. Many people catch hepatitis B from their mother at birth. If you are not infected, please get a hepatitis B vaccination as soon as possible.
        Good luck.

  8. Hi,

    I am desperately looking for an Hepatitis B doctors in Kenya.Please help me with the direct contacts.



    1. hey muli,
      I tested +ve fr the same and iam looking for a specialist too,did u find one?
      if u did,kindly pass me his/her contacts to my email.

  9. I tested hb+v in march2014 and im unable to find a doctor in kenya. can you pls help me get one

    1. Unfortunately our directory of liver specialists does not include a liver specialist in Kenya. Our list is not exhaustive and the physician must register or a patient may recommend a liver specialist. I checked to see if the World Hepatitis Alliance has a member organization in Kenya, but they do not. I would look for a liver specialist at larger medical centers or research or teaching hospitals in larger cities which tend to have more specialty doctors. You want to look for a hepatologist or a GI doctor with experience treating viral hepatitis.

      1. We have not had any Kenyan doctors added to our Directory of Liver Specialists. I would encourage you to look for expertise at a larger hospital center or university or research hospital. Beyond a google search, I can’t provide any names so I could not confirm the experience of doctors noted such as Dr. Eric Rutto or Dr. elijah Songok. In general you want to look for a hepatologist or a GI doctor or even an infectious disease doctor that has experience treating patients with HBV. If you learn of a good doctor in Kenya, please be sure to share it so it can add it to the Directory of Liver Specialists.

    2. hey theo,
      kindly if u succeded in getting a doctor,please pass me his contacts….i tested +ve around the same monthyear.
      i hve nt tried any doctor yet only several tests.
      phakiha@yahoo.com is my address.

  10. Hi I have tested yesterday C and B am positive HEP ‘B’ Surface Ag (HBsAg) Value 7757.00 IU/ML so am lookin especially dr for this disease why can I get his contact

    1. Hello: It’s important to see a doctor who is knowledgeable about hepatitis B. The foundation has a website of hepatitis B liver specialists in the U.S. and around the world at http://www.hepb.org/resources/liver_specialist_directory.htm
      If you live outside the U.S. and cannot find a liver specialist near you on the foundation’s website, you can visit the World Hepatitis Alliance website at http://www.worldhepatitisalliance.org/en/our-members It lists organizations in many countries that work on hepatitis B issues. Search by your country and if there is an organization near you, contact it and ask if they know of a hepatitis B specialist they can recommend. Good luck.

  11. Pls am in Ghana. I was tested Hep b positive in 2011. Pls I recently had an LFT and my AlLT and AST has increased to 73 and 51 respectively. Pls is my liver damaged based on that? And do u know any specialist in Ghana who can help?

    1. Hello: Our liver cells release the enzyme ALT and AST into our bloodstream when they are damaged from hepatitis B, toxins or even some over-the-counter medications such as acetaminophen. Healthy ALT levels for men are up to 30 to 40, and for women they are up to 19. ALT levels of 73 indicate some liver damage is occurring. To find liver specialists in Ghana, please go to: http://www.hepb.org/treatment-and-management/physician-directory/ and enter Ghana for your search.
      Current treatments for hepatitis B include two antivirals — either tenofovir (Viread) or entecavir. Also, you are lucky in that there is a hepatitis B advocacy organization in Ghana. The contact information is below. Good luck.
      Theobald Owusu-Ansah
      Phone: 00233 247093893
      Email: theobald2003@yahoo.com Ghana

Comments are closed.