Questions to Ask
Questions When Newly Diagnosed
- What type and subtype of liver cancer do I have and what stage is it?
- Has the cancer spread beyond my liver?
- How large is the tumor?
- Can the tumor be removed surgically?
- Do I have chronic hepatitis B and/or hepatitis C infections? What does this mean?
- Am I a carrier of hepatitis B and/or C? What does this mean?
- Do I have cirrhosis of the liver? How well is my liver working?
- Do I have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)? What does this mean?
- Can you explain my blood test results or imaging studies to me? Can I get a copy of all of the results?
Questions About Treatment
- What are my treatment options and how will they help me? What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What is the goal of each treatment? Is it to eliminate the cancer, help me feel better, or both?
- Do I need any more tests before we decide on my treatment?
- Do I need to see any other doctors before I start treatment?
- Do I need to start treatment right away?
- Who will be a part of my healthcare team and who will be leading my overall treatment?
- What should I expect during the treatment process and what are the possible long-term side effects of treatment?
- What are the chances that the cancer will come back?
- Are there any clinical trials for liver cancer that I might be able to participate in?
- Where can I find help with insurance issues?
- If I'm worried about managing the costs of cancer care, who can help me?
- What support services are available to me and my family?
- Are there any liver cancer support groups, either in-person or online?
- Are there any brochures or other printed material that I can take with me?