Importance of Hepatitis B Screening
Importance of Hepatitis B Screening: The majority of respondents found out about their hepatitis B by coincidence, indicating the importance of screening and early diagnosis.
- 56% were tested as part of routine testing (blood donation, pre-marital, or pre- employment).
- 15% were tested because they were either having symptoms.
- 8% were tested because a family member was diagnosed.
- 15% were tested because their doctor recommended it.
One participant said “You know I'm a relatively healthy person in terms of you know other
things. And how did [I] get [hepatitis B], [I] always feel confused and I’m always wondering, I'm a scientist, I want to know why did this happen?”
- Please know that:
- Hepatitis B is one of the most common viruses worldwide.
- Hepatitis B can be a silent infection, and everyone should be tested.
Encourage your friends and family to get tested for hepatitis B. Early diagnosis is key to a long, healthy life!
Share your hepatitis B story. Personal stories are the best way to improve awareness and promote testing for hepatitis B.