Oxford University

VISA Requirements

 Quick Facts About Chinese Visas And Invitation Letters:

    • All foreigners visiting China need to have a visa prior to entry.
    • If you are flying directly to a Chinese international airport, e.g. Beijing (Peking) or Shanghai, you need to have your visa before you arrive.
    • There are two different types of visa normally issued. The "L" visa is a tourist visa and typically allows you to stay in China 1-3 months, usually with only a single entry. The "F" visa is the business visa and is better to obtain because you can obtain a 6 month visa and enter/exit China multiple times.
    • The Chinese F Visa does not entitle you to work in China, but is perfect for business travellers, e.g. visiting factories, meeting suppliers, buying product samples, and travelling around different parts of China for an extended time.
    • For most nationalities each visiting individual will need to present, as part of the visa application process, a formal, stamped, unique invitation letter from a registered Chinese company, stating that this visitor is a bona fide business guest.


To attend the 2013 International HBV Meeting in Shanghai, China, it will be necessary to obtain a VISA (either business or tourist) to participate. Please allow a minimum of 30-60 days before departure for this process. Most often it will also be necessary for you to have your flight ticket in advance of your VISA application as it may be necessary to show a copy of your airline ticket.

Additionally, you may need a Letter of Invitation from the meeting organizers. Please be sure to send your request for this to info@hbvmeeting.org and include the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Affiliation
  • Birth Date
  • Full Address
  • Phone/Contact Number
  • Gender
  • Nationality
  • Passport Number

For general Chinese VISA information please visit: http://www.visaforchina.org/

The links below may provide some additional resources for your visa application. Or you may want to visit your local government office or a travel agency that specializes in these services.